Phlebotomy Training Online
Interested in becoming a phlebotomist but don’t want to attend regular on-campus phlebotomy classes? If you’re the type of person who enjoys learning at their own pace, phlebotomy training online would be a great way to earn your qualifications while being able to take charge of your learning. It’s also often a better choice as phlebotomy classes online are usually cheaper than traditional on-campus classes, and many schools and colleges throughout the US offer them. Besides that, earning your phlebotomy certification online is also extremely convenient as you can access class materials anywhere where there’s a computer and internet access. Have a busy schedule or just want to study in your pajamas? Phlebotomy training online might just be for you! So, let’s go ahead and take an in-depth look.
Phlebotomy Training Online
While looking for phlebotomy training online, the first thing you’ll want to do is decide whether you want to become certified or not. Since certification is not absolutely necessary unless you live in either California, Washington, Nevada, or Louisiana, an accredited phlebotomy program might not be necessary if certification is not what you want. However, if you are serious about phlebotomy and want the extra benefits that certification has to offer, then finding an accredited phlebotomy training is exactly what you’ll want. These benefits include a more thorough training, professional qualifications to impress employers, an edge over other job candidates, phlebotomist qualifications should you move to another state, and an average salary increase of 10%.
Phlebotomy training programs will have both a knowledge and clinical portion that must be completed in order to pass the class. As you can imagine, the knowledge portion is very much like what you would expect from an academic class. It will cover all the things you’ll need to know while on the job. On the other hand, the clinical portion of the class will center around building the necessary skills you’ll need in order to become a successful phlebotomist. After all, you wouldn’t want a stranger to stick a needle in your arm if they’ve never practiced before, would you? With that in mind, when searching for phlebotomy training online, make sure you research the program carefully. You will want to take into consideration different factors such as the school’s reputation, student reviews, program graduate rates, tuition costs, and job placement rates after completing the course.
Phlebotomy classes online will teach you about the following:
- Human anatomy and physiology.
- Blood and cell composition.
- Safe blood handling.
- Record keeping.
- Patient privacy rights and safety procedures.
- Patient care and quality assurance.
- Basic legal and lab safety.
Remember, employers will also want you to have clinical training as well, so completing phlebotomy training online won’t just be enough. You will have to schedule your clinical training from on-campus classes when you are ready. Clinical training will teach you the different ways in which you can draw blood and how to perform each properly. Without any clinical training, many employers will be hesitant in hiring job candidates so this is a must! Don’t forget.
Requirements to Apply for Phlebotomy Training Online
To apply for phlebotomy classes online, you will have to meet a few requirements which are essentially the same ones you’d find for conventional on-campus classes, although they can vary by state. These requirements are as follows:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Speak English fluently.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (i.e. GED).
- Have a working computer with internet access.
- Have the time available to take phlebotomy training online.
- Have the discipline to take classes on your own.
- Have what it takes to become a successful phlebotomist (find out with our quiz).
How Long is Phlebotomy Training Online?
Most phlebotomy training programs are anywhere around 1 to 2 semesters in length, which roughly equates to 4 to 8 months of classes as a full-time student. Depending on the school, you can expect phlebotomy classes online to be roughly half of what you would expect from regular on-campus classes.
*** Remember, half of the course material will focus on lectures and knowledge (which can be completed online) while the other half will require you to complete on-campus clinical training in order to obtain the skills you’ll need to succeed as a phlebotomist. ***
The reason many people are attracted to becoming a phlebotomist is the fact that training can be completed in less than 1 year, granting you the qualifications you’ll need to become a full-time phlebotomist. So for those that want to get in the healthcare field as quickly as possible, the minimal training required of phlebotomy can’t be beat!
Is Phlebotomy Training Online a Good Idea?
For over a decade now, student enrollments in online classes have been significantly increasing with each year. Starting in 2002 with a total of 1,602,970 students, that number has skyrocketed to 7,126,549 students in 2012. That’s over a 450% increase in the last 10 years! And now, students enrollments in online classes make up more than one third of the total student enrollments in post secondary institutions! Perhaps it’s the convenience of online classes, the intuitive learning experience, or the overall better experience with education that makes online classes so popular. Whatever it may be, it’s pretty apparent that online classes have a significant impact on colleges nowadays. Close to 90% of colleges and post secondary schools have taken up some form of online education, which is exactly why phlebotomy certification online is offered.
Benefits of Phlebotomy Training Online
- Study when you want — Have a busy schedule? Already have a job or priorities such as kids? Phlebotomy classes online are a great way to work around your schedule instead of having your schedule work you.
- Study anywhere you want — Online phlebotomy training means you won’t be confined to a classroom or a specific school anymore, you can learn anywhere on the fly as long as you have internet access and a computer.
- Study comfortably — Being able to study anywhere you want also means you can study wherever you feel most comfortable. For some, that’s at home. For others, that may be at a library or coffee shop. Doing so eliminates distractions and helps you to engage more with the content.
- More interactive learning experience — Interactive Courseware creates a more thorough educational experience and allows for better immersion in material, and you’ll also be able to communicate with other students and participate more than you normally would in a normal classroom.
- Better time management — Before, you’d have to sit through lectures that can last anywhere from 45 minutes to ones that are even longer. But with online phlebotomy training you can manage the amount of time you spend studying, pausing whenever you’d like and moving on to new material only once you are ready.
- Cheaper than on-campus classes — Phlebotomy classes online often costs less than traditional post-secondary education, as the courses are generally cheaper and you can factor out things such as commuting costs altogether.
- No more textbooks — Physical books are on the decline, haven’t you heard? With phlebotomy training online, you won’t have to worry about paying for expensive books any longer.
Our Tips on Succeeding in Online Phlebotomy Training
- Engage in the material as much as you can.
- Move on to new lessons only when you’re ready.
- Good time management is invaluable.
- Use efficient study habits.
- Don’t forget about clinical training.